Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New look

yes I know, I am not one that likes change, but I figured this one was for the better. I needed to update the page anyway and decided to look around at their new templates. I liked this one because it reminded me of a NYC subway map and driving in Jersey, although I am pretty sure it is something totally different, I still liked it. Anyway, I hope you like it as much as I do, since I rarely need to see that page.

Baseball spring training starts today! It will be nice to see my beloved Mets take the field again even though it is not real baseball quite yet. Speaking of baseball, I have started my fantasy baseball league and this year we had quite a response, 16 teams in the league! It should make it for an awfully interesting draft and season. I am really looking forward to it and it is nice since I had nothing really inbetween football season and now since RU basketball is in the toilet and I can't get into hockey like I used to (at least not until the playoffs).

I read this interesting article about narcissim in college students and have long believe a lot of what it has posited actually a bit more than what was written. We are so focused today on making sure that everyone is treated absolutely the same that we lose sight of reality. The tag lines in the article really jump out (as I guess they are supposed to) "We're all above average" - I am amazed at how upset people get when they don't get an A... it has become the new C, anything lower and we think we are failing. I would like to go on record here as saying I am more than happy to accept a C, if it is fairly deserved, if I just did what was acceptable to learn what I needed and did nothing extraordinary. I am reminded of my first Physics exam in which I scored a 18 out of 200, I was saddened because I thought I was going to fail out of school, but then found out the average was a 14, and I got a C+. It showed how little I actually knew in the subject and didn't give me an overall sense of hubris, while I still did better than average. "I am special, I am special" - true we are all special and all have unique gifts, but, in my opinion, it is meant to be in service to others, somewhere we have lost that idea and it has turned inward to say we don't need others in any way. Well, I am getting off my soapbox and out of the limelight, I'd be interested to hear your feedback though!

I am not sure how long the link above will last, I noticed that the link for last postings moment of zen is already removed (it was about a guy who broke the world record for squat thrusts on an elephant, so you didn't really miss much), but for my penance, this time I will provide two... Moment of Zen #1 for those of you who are really bored and Moment of Zen #2 for those of us who are proud to be from New Jersey.

Until next time, God bless and take care!

1 comment:

New Jersey Website Design said...

Just a Guy from Jersey,

Thanks for linking to us! We are certainly proud to be from Jersey. If your readers are really bored they should check out our New Jersey Fun Facts (http://www.cyberxdesigns.com/new-jersey/nj_trivia.php).

As a matter of fact, on Sunday my wife and I took a drive up to High Point just for the enjoyment of it. Driving through the farms and hills up there is amazing. Definitely zen like. Again, thanks for linking to us!

Hans