Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy Ash Wednesday!


Well, it is that time of year again, the beginning of lent, one of my favorite times of the liturgical year. It is a simpler time that allows us to attempt to reform our lives a little bit in the hope of conforming ourselves to the Gospel message. I wish that all of you have a blessed Lent and use this time, not to focus on what you give up or what added tasks you have given yourself, but to look on the gain of a closer relationship with our Lord that it is meant to lead us to. I checked out the Vatican website (as you can tell by the picture above) and one of my favorite links that they have placed on the site is from the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music. They are in single clips of between 30 seconds and 3.5 minutes, but it is just nice to take a small prayer break with. Enjoy!

So, I know again it has been a while since I wrote, and there has been so much to talk about... I am not sure where even to start. I guess the best thing to do is lop off the rest of 2007 and just get to the new year. 2008 has been quite good for me thus far. I started with a wonderful trip to Toronto for the International Bowl which Rutgers won quite easily, but it was still a good time. We did the typical Toronto stuff - CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame and Rogers Centre (note the Canadian spelling), getting lost in the PATH, and Bill has all the pictures from there which will probably be posted on Webshots sometime soon (more on that later). The best find though was Steam Whistle Brewery. As you may remember, Bill and I visited St. Arnold's when we went to Houston and we decided this was a nice tradition to continue. When we walked into Steam Whistle Brewery (right across from the Rogers Centre) the girls behind the counter didn't ask if they could help us or if we were interested in a tour, but "would you like a free sample." We learned all about the brewing process and the history of the old roundhouse which is now home to the brewery and enjoyed this wonderfully refreshing Canadian Pilsner. The mantra of Steam Whistle is to do one thing really well, so this is the only beer that they produce... if you get a chance, I highly recommend it for a nice 45 minute tour and the typically friendly Canadian crew.

So, I have figured out that most of my electronics were not Y2K8 compliant... My camera broke when I was in Toronto, it was already on the fritz, but one more drop pretty much did the trick. I have not purchased a new one yet, but is probably the next major purchase. My cell phone car charger had died and then the phone itself is starting to get flakey (although I just need it to work until this summer when my contract expires). Then on returning to school, my computer decided to die, fried hard drive, so I had to go out and get a new PC, I decided to go against my better judgment and purchase an HP, it has been good to me thus far, although I am not a huge fan of Windows Vista, but it isn't as bad as many people will lead you to believe. Finally, my tv has been acting up recently, turning on after I turn it off... kind of creepy, but I have a smaller one that will suffice for me. Being so technologically attached, it has been a bit of a strain on my life style, but hey in the long run, they are only things. On a positive note, one of my Christmas gifts was a Garmin nuvi 250 which has been working quite well.

After going to toronto, I had my diaconate retreat as required by Canon Law, I decided to go to St. Mary's Abbey in Morristown, NJ. The Benedictines have a wonderful community and my retreat was quite peaceful. I took along the rite of ordination and my Bible along with two texts which I found to be quite good and recommend them for anyone discerning the priesthood: A View from the Altar by Howard Bleichner and The Joy of Priesthood by Stephen Rossetti.

Finally, I got some wonderful news just about a week ago... I was accepted to the Catholic Relief Services Global Fellows Program which will allow me to travel to Rwanda in May-June. I am very excited to be a part of this program and have always had a special inkling to travel to Africa. Although I have been able to go to Egypt, I have always considered it more of the Middle East than Africa although it is on the African Continent (a view I have found many Africans share as well). I am intrigued to see the differences and similarities with how we think and act and to be able to witness the recovery process from the genocide from 1994 in an effort that no one may ever go through it again. I am really looking forward to this trip and ask for your continued prayers for solidarity.

Well, I believe I have written enough for now, it is nice to be back and writing again and I will try to keep this more up to date in the future. Have a wonderfully spiritual Lent.

I know that you are all missing the one thing that ends, each posting, well I will not disappoint you... Your Moment of Zen brings us to one of the most pointless sites I have ever found... apparently these people really like Table Tennis.

No comments: