Monday, February 11, 2008

polly tickle science

Now, understand where I am coming from, I was sick of the fact that this presidential race seemed to begin in 2005 after we had just finished a race, however since we are running down to the last two candidates on each side I feel I can actually comment on what is going on (sorry, Ron Paul). First, of all does anyone understand the so-called superdelegates? The best explanation I have seen is here. I don't know about you, but it bothers me a bit to know that in an election, at least on the democratic side, which looks like it will go down to the wire, the party hardliners can choose someone that the voters do not want. Plus, why are they super? I want to be super.

Along the same lines, where is the large outrage of people complaining that although one candidate won the popular vote in the state, they didn't get the most delegates? The media which kept hammering the point home in the 2000 election, but seemingly doesn't care now in the primary... will somebody please explain this? Of course, this is also the same group that wanted recounts in Florida to make sure "every vote counted" but didn't care about New Mexico where the vote was even closer (source: CNN).

Another thing I can't get is this fascination with "Conservative" on the Republican side. None of the candidates this year were truly conservative when looking at all of their records and the whole idea of one trumpeting that they are conservative over the other was similar to the line in Matthew's Gospel: "Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?" (Matt 7:3) I think we've gotten this whole conservative-liberal thing way out of whack... as my friend pointed out at dinner the other day, you know when I am getting a nice cold beverage to drink I want the person pouring the drink to be liberal... it's ok, we can say it.

Finally, don't trust the polls... remember they were telling us that Rudy was going to win easily and Hillary on the Democratic side, then it was Romney for the Republicans, and now it is McCain and Obama. Vote for whatever candidate YOU want without listening to what others want you to believe. Speaking of which, the most typical news from politics, was the fact that Obama-Girl (I have decided not to post links because of other comments I have read on various sites here), the woman who sang "I have a crush on Obama" and was the key that many pundits were pointing to about the young vote going to him, didn't vote! She was interviewed by the New York Times at a party and explained that she was sick from going to Arizona for the Super Bowl and couldn't vote... apparently she was not too sick to party though. Which just makes me say that I believe I will understand tickling a parrot (see title of this post) about as much as politics.

OK, well, I guess that is enough rant for the day... guess it just got to me.

No comments: