Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Be a blinking light!

I got a wonderful compliment the other day... when we get voicemail on our phones in the seminary there is a light that blinks to indicate that we have a message. Well, I was told, that when people see the blinking light and here that it is a message from me they smile since that usually means there are free drinks in the Donnelly for a special event. As I have said before, it's the little things that matter, so I encourage others to be that blinking light for someone else today. On a funny note, my light is burnt out, so I need to pick up my phone to know if there is a message or not.

Boy am I tired today, I have an exam to study for on Friday and another paper due on Monday so I don't think things will be getting any easier, but all is well. A couple of the Syracuse guys are running in the Baltimore Marathon this weekend, and I really have respect for them. I ran this morning on the treadmill for almost an hour and totalled 5 miles and can only imagine what it would be like to run five times that much, especially since I didn't use the hill function today so it was all at 0% incline. I would like to do what some of the guys are doing, splitting up the marathon into four parts and running one of those parts - I think that would be cool and it wouldn't take too much more work to get my stamina up that far to complete it. Of course that is just completing, not competing... I am sure the others are much faster, but it would be more of a thing for me to do.

I got to visit another primary care facility yesterday and run a Eucharistic prayer service and visit the rooms of some of the patients who could not come to the room where we had the service. There really are some beautiful people in this world who do not get enough time to share part of their story with all of us. I met a number of people who were over 100 years old, some very sick who could not have a coherent conversation but still prayed the Our Father with us, others who started to talk about their experiences in life and concerns for their family members who they don't get to see all that often. I am so happy that I get to spend a few hours a week with these people, since they are always so pleasent to you just for being there.

On Tuesday, we had our annual Dunning Lecture in which Dr. Craig Evans spoke about the Gospel of Judas, which has been in the papers very recently and the talk was interesting, although a lot is still left to be discovered. Probably the most amazing part of the story was the amount of damage that the original document went through from the time of discovery... it was sold once and that person tried to resell it, but when he did not get the amount of money he desired he put it in a safety deposit box in New York where it got moldy and then he decided to deep freeze it in order to preserve it, which failed miserably. So, if you are ever in Egypt and find some old manuscript don't do what this guy did! (Actually there are rules now in place to prevent this from happening again). If you have any questions feel free to ask, although there is no guarentee that I will be able to answer it.

Before I forget, which I did on Monday, happy belated Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends, hope you guys had a great one!!!

The site of the day comes from my friend Chris, who sent this link. Which is kind of funny, since whenever I go home I usually call Bill on the phone and wish that we would just figure out teleportation so I wouldn't have to drive three hours back to Jersey. Anyway it is a pretty cool site in general if you just want to learn a little bit more on how stuff works...

Speaking of work, off to study and do my Latin homework... until next time, as Sylvester Stallone (and everyone else just about) in Demolition Man would say "Be Well!"

2 comments:

Fr. Matthew Hardesty said...

hey keith, I've added a link to your blog on mine

Anonymous said...

KEITH!!!!

Found your blog and sorry I'm such a slacker friend. Awesome job on the running...when are you joining me for a marathon??? I did the Marine Corps Marathon in October.