Monday, June 25, 2007

There are some things I know and some things I don't

(or should I say "I don't know butchie instead")like, what is the point of either of my two new favorite shows that are currently on television (Flight of the Conchordes and John from Cincinnati)? What I do know... I like them. I have to rescind my prior posting which said that I cannot recommend the Flight of the Conchords... I MUST recommend it... Mel is so awkward and makes you almost squirm in your seat, but you cannot but help laugh at how Jermaine and Bret try to get out of the situations... coming out of their home in episode one they ran into her (she's their #1, well only, fan) and to get out of the conversation they said they needed to go, when she inquired where they said "home"... "we just came out for some fresh air". Last night's episode had a great song about Inner City Pressure, and a debate on which was better for the band, a tape player or Bret.

As for John from Cincinnati, well the story is progressing, so that's a plus... and someone finally figured out the John isn't too normal (thanks Kai!)... actually I think this would be a great show for all psychologists or those aspiring to be psychologists since I think everyone in the show has some kind of complex or at least the producers of the show. If you missed the show, HBO is going to be showing all of the first three episodes on Thursday night I think... good time to get into it!

Random thoughts

Finally got into some of my summer reading, I am currently reading Jesus of Nazareth. I am about 2 chapters in (I read slow), but it has been excellent thus far. I really liked the foreward where The Holy Father talks about the historical critical method and definitely recommend it as a good read.


The Mets are finally playing well, after a sweep of the A's I am feeling good about their chances against the Cardinals. Perhaps I should make a new bet with my friend jon.


One of the top ESPN bloggers (in my humble opinion), Bruce Feldman, listed his top 10 football movies of all time... while I agree with many, I just like the idea of lists and seeing how they can upset others, so here is my list. Unlike him, I include all types of football movies:

1. Brian's Song - totally agree with his comments, I think they tried to make a remake of this too sometime in the early 2000's, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere.
2. Rudy - call me a girl I guess Bruce, but this is one of my favorites... I also think it is because of the whole vocation scene - escaping into the cloth. Also has a great line about life from the priest... "son, there are two things I have learned in all my years: There is a God, and I'm not him."
3. Remember the Titans - how can this not be on his list? I mean Denzel is in it :)
4. The Waterboy - true underdog movie that has Rush's Tom Sawyer playing at the Burboun Bowl. Still use the line: "You playin the foosball bobby?"
5. Lucas - a love story sure, but what person didn't really cry when Lucas got clobbard, also has a young Charlie Sheen and Jeremy Piven and of course Winona Ryder (and anything with Winona is good :))
6. Jerry Maguire - you had me at hello... great points by Bruce on this one.
7. Everybody's All-American - the struggles of family life and professional athletes - good overall flick.
8. Necessary Roughness - ok, I guess I am showing my age, but this movie reminds me so much of Rutgers football for the longest time that I cannot help but love it. Plus, Kathy Ireland and Sinbad, can you get any more 80's than that?
9. North Dallas Forty - not my favorite, but should be in anyone's top 10.
10. The Longest Yard - the original not the crappy remake.

Honorable mentions (not mentioned by Bruce): Little Giants, Wildcats, Pandemonium in Piscataway.
Movies I have not seen so they could not be rated: Invincible, We are Marshall

Well, that is all for now... of course I cannot leave you without your moment of zen... believe it or not, I did not create this website!

No comments: