Friday, July 13, 2007

Another day, another movie


OK, I am feeling better now :)... Wednesday I went to see another movie, for some reason I go in spurts, but it is the summer and I have Wednesdays off so what else am I going to do? My friend Ed and I went to see 1408, I am a big John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson fan and I like scary movies, so I thought this could be good. Both Ed and I could not figure out if we actually liked the movie after it was over though. One positive was that it wasn't like the typical slasher type movies that Hollywood loves to produce, this was much more mind-oriented, it is rated PG-13, so I figured it wouldn't be too gory. On a down-side, most of the things that would have made you jump I had already seen in the preview, so I new it was coming. The eerieness (is that even a word?) of the movie was quite good and I think the premise of the movie was interesting. The ending in my opinion left a lot to be desired, but I will not spoil it for others. I was not bored though, and it kept me in the movie the whole time wondering what was going to happen, so I can't say it was bad. I'll go with average, with a nod for a good effort and a recommendation to wait until it is on video or cable.
One thing I can recommend is Aroma Royal Thai Restaurant in Franklin Park, where we went to dinner after the show. The food was excellent and not very expensive, I enjoyed a beef curry in a coconut shell and it was quite delightful. You can order the meals as mild, medium, hot and very hot... being thai food, I decided hot was as far as I wanted to go, but I am quite sure that I could go to very hot without a problem. We also ordered the combination platter for an appetizer which included paper shrimp, chicken satay and egg rolls I think, it was tasty though and came with a side of spices which you could use on your discretion. The dessert was phenomenal though, I had the F.B.I. - Fried Banana with Ice Cream, and with the exception of using a paper cup to mold the ice cream (allowing me to read the words "Solo") I was quite pleased. Here is a review from the New York Times if you are thinking about going - I am sure they know more about food than I do.

Well, that is all for now, I am heading to a retreat this weekend for people discerning religious life, so please keep us in your prayers. Until then, God bless and take care, and enjoy your moment of zen. This is kind of fun but also disturbing.

No comments: