Monday, July 02, 2007

Pauline Year announced!

The Vatican issued a statement on June 28 that there will be a Pauline Year to celebrate the 2000 anniversary of his birth which most historians claim to be between 7 AD and 10 AD. The year will start on June 28, 2008. While this may not seem like much to many people, I am very enthusiastic that the possibility of my diaconate year will be dedicated to this great apostle. I am quite interested in the ecumenical movement, and I believe there is way too little emphasis on the writings of Paul and what they can translate into today.

Speaking of things from the Vatican, a few days ago my moment of zen had a website about driving, interestingly enough, this document aboutPastoral Care of the Road came out and helped me realize that I still have a long way to go in my practice of true Christian charity. :) I specifically enjoyed reading section III on human aspects and IV Moral aspects of driving. I loved this quote: "Coexistence is a fundamental aspect of human beings and roads should therefore be more human. Motorists are never alone when they are driving, even when no one is sitting beside them. Driving a vehicle is basically a way of relating with and getting closer to other people"(especially when I drive) ", and of integrating within a community of people. This capacity for coexistence, of entering into relations with others, presupposes certain specific qualities in a driver: namely self-mastery, prudence, courtesy, a fitting spirit of service and knowledge of the Highway Code. Selfless assistance should also be provided to those who need it, by giving an example of charity and hospitality." Part two of the document talks about the importance of pastoral ministry for the liberation of street women, which shares an important perspecitve on prostitution as "a form of slavery." Please continue to pray that we continue to try to assist these people rather than judge them.

Well, guess that is all for now, talk to you all soon. Oh and to my friends from the great white North, Happy Belated Canada Day, eh! Pax et bonum!

No comments: