Thursday, July 05, 2007

Movie review updates


So, as I said it would be... my fourth of July was pretty low-key... I basically just went to the movies and caught a double feature. Not only did I go to see Transformers, but also Live Free or Die Hard... both of which I was skeptical at first about, hoping rather than knowing that they would be good. I was quite happy with the movies, and for those of you who look at the USCCB movie reviews both were not morally offensive (although, Die Hard came as close as one could possibly get getting an "L" rating).

First up, Transformers, Michael Bay does it again, delivering an action pact success... I knew that the action would be just fine under his direction (he was also the director of Bad Boys, Armageddon, The Rock, The Island and Pearl Harbor and probably a little known fact - the Aawon Buuh Got Milk commercial). Anyway, back to the movie. If you liked the cartoon you will like the movie... there is some terrible humor mixed in to the classic lines of "Roll out" and "You failed me again starscream" which was excellent... I will not give away the movie, but the scene with Bumblebee and the young couple is priceless. I was entertained throughout the movie and highly recommend it for just about anyone who is at least a teenager... I left the theater thinking that all the cars in the parking lot were actually transformers and wondered if they were autobots or deceptacons... always a good sign.

After going back to my buddy's place to put up a fence for his new dog, we decided to go back and see the latest installment of Die Hard, mostly because it was Independence Day and we didn't feel like Transformers got us into that patriotic spirit. This one I was not sure about, I wanted to see it, but would it be as good as the original or the third (the second one was just ok)... but I took some solace in the fact that I had the same doubts about Die Hard with a vengence. The movie was just what I needed... action packed movie that takes place right around Independence Day. His daughter, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, is not only good looking, but she is tough and smart (she goes to Rutgers!) and was a pleasent addition to the movie. She compliments her father and comes a long way from saying "McClane residence, Lucy McClane speaking" in the original Die Hard (the best Christmas movie ever made). The hacking portion of the movie was also quite interesting and the cross between the old school McClane and the atypical techies of this generation is a nice little side story (but the fact that Matt Farrell does not like Creedence Clearwater Revival is a little off-putting). I am also a big Kevin Smith fan and didn't realize he was in the movie, excellent job. The action gets a little unbelievable at times, but it is still worth while. Two thumbs up for me!

So, go out grab some popping corn and enjoy!

No comments: