Sunday, July 29, 2007

Winding down


As we approach the month of August, thoughts of vacation are starting to drift into my head, although I still haven't finalized what, if anything, I am doing. I may drive down to see some friends, perhaps camping on my way down to North Carolina, or I may just catch up on some reading and bother my parents for a few weeks. I know I have some last minute work to finish up before I head down to the Seminary for Orientation, so there will definitely be some family time up north. So, as I am winding down my time at Our Lady of the Mount, I have been trying to visit friends in the area. I got an opportunity to see an old friend from Seminary on Friday as we had a wonderful dinner at that 4-star restaurant known as Fuddrucker's. I can hear my father cringing already, he was never been a big fan of the loudness of the place, but I have many happy fudd's memories from my childhood... I could never get enough of those buns and chili cheese fries :).

We (as you might be able to tell from the giant picture at the top of this blog) also went to see The Simpsons movie on opening night. The movie was alright, not bad, but not great... One warning, it IS NOT for kids!!! The movie has a PG-13 rating and that should be heeded. One scene in particular sticks out, but I feel that that one was quite enough, I don't want to spoil anything for people planning on seeing it, so if you have a question about specifics, just email me. There were times in the movie that I was laughing hysterically especially at this:

If you like the show, you should love the movie. It has it's ups and it's downs (especially the whole Lisa love interest which is almost always painfully dragged out). But the pointless humor is still there and if you wait in the theater until the very end you will be given another wonderful song by the Simpson's group which I would not recommend missing. I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

I also watched the movie The Number 23 which is out in video now. It was pretty good if you like the whole crime/suspense kind of movie. And it does make you question the "What if..." aspect that is going through Jim Carrey's head. I am usually not a big Carrey fan, but he excels in this part and I was intrigued with the story throughout the movie.

It is almost college football time!!! The announcement for me always comes when the release of the latest college football game is made. Although these games are usually just newer versions of old games, I love this one compared to last year. First, Rutgers Stadium is correct (you even hear the cannon go off after a touchdown!). Secondly, the Campus Legend function let's you start the game as a high school senior, choose which school you go to (depending on offers) and makes you work your way through classes, practices and evening events while you try to work your way up the depth chart. Want to go play mini-golf with the guys??? It will help your popularity, but not in the classroom. You need to maintain a good enough GPA, but you also want to become the star on campus, known by everyone, so what are you going to choose? I think I like this way too, because the coach calls all the plays and you only have the ability to do things when your number is called. Much more realistic in my book... two thumbs up EA Sports! Speaking of college football, it is also that time for Heisman hopeful websites, RU did a great job on See Ray Run, hopefully he has another great season as RU looks to get that BCS birth this year.

Well, I think I have written enough for now... I am off to my last weekend in the parish (thanks again to everyone at Our Lady of the Mount for a wonderful summer experience!). And for your Moment of Zen remember when you are complaining about the heat, winter is only a few months away... enjoy the rest of your summer!

2 comments:

Fr. Matthew Hardesty said...

Hey Keith, I saw Simpsons too and you're right, there's some hilarious parts in it, especially the video you provided. But, man does that movie beat you over the head with the political statements! I grew quickly tired of it. I thought the movie departed way too much from the show. And I too couldn't believe the "part that sticks out"!

Fr. Matthew Hardesty said...

Keith, if this isn't a moment of Zen, nothing is. I introduce to you... A Mario medley on piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neAiLZcy8Qk